Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bonds of Justice - Nalini Singh

Max Shannon is a good cop, one of the best in New York Enforcement. Born with a natural shield that protects him against Psy mental invasions, he knows he has little chance of advancement within the Psy- dominated power structure. The last case he expects to be assigned to is that of a murderer targeting a Psy Councilor's closest advisors. And the last woman he expects to compel him in the most sensual of ways is a Psy on the verge of catastrophic mental fracture.




Although I am not normally a fan of Singh's stories with human main characters I have to say that I ended up enjoying this one very much. Max is a human cop. Sophia is a J Psy (a new designation to identify those who work in crime investigation). They are brought together by Nikita Duncan, the Psy Councilor, who is having some problems with her collaborators dying in suspicious accidents or supposed suicides. Why she requests specifically Max and Sophia is not clear in the beginning but as the story progresses we find out more about her motivations, this is a storyline that is not closed with this book and I am looking forward to see where Singh is taking Nikita in future books.

Max and Sophia are also interesting characters. I can't help admire how Singh keeps introducing new material in these stories - in this case a new Psy designation - and it making total sense and fitting so well in what we already know. Max is fully human but he has mental shields that help Sophia feel secure with him. Basically he is a determined human, a cop who believes in the system to keep order in society and wants to protect the ones he loves. He is described as a very attractive male, who loves to flirt with women, and I really liked that after he decided that Sophia was the one, he had no eyes and no time for anyone else. There's a lot of sexual tension between them and although I was a bit confused with the solution found for Sophia's dependence of the Psynet I ended up feeling that by now we needed something new instead of everyone joining the changelings net.

This book also sees a lot of secondary characters joining the action. I quite liked seeing them all again, especially Sasha and Lucas but also Faith and Vaughn. It was nice to get another hint about Hawke and Sienna, by now I have built such a bit expectation for that story that I sure hope it lives up to it.Finally I just want to say that this story seemed to me a lot better integrated in the Psy / Changeling world than the previous one. Now I love where Singh is taking us and I can't wait to read the next story.

Grade: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...