Friday, September 6, 2013

Hotwire - Alex Kava (Romantic Suspense Reading C.)



9729595On a crisp fall evening in western Nebraska, what started as a group of kids filming their drug-fueled party ends in an explosive light show, leaving the victims apparently electrocuted, with odd scorch marks being the only evidence. While Maggie tries to make sense of the dif­ferent stories, sifting through what is real and what is hallu­cination, she realizes that the surviving teens are being targeted and systematically eliminated. Meanwhile on the East Coast, Maggie’s FBI partner, R.J. Tully, and Army colonel Benjamin Platt are at the scene of a deadly outbreak, desperate to identify the pathogen that has infected children at a Virginia elementary school. Despite the miles that separate them, the two cases collide as Maggie, Tully, and Platt uncover secrets that were meant to stay hidden in the remote Midwest landscape.

I've been trying to catch up with all the series I have been reading and I noticed that it had been a while since I had picked you a Maggie O'Dell novel. I was a bit unsure about it after reading the blurb but in the end I enjoyed it more than what I was expecting.

I like Maggie O'Dell, I like how she investigates and feels for the victims but, in terms of her personal life I think it's taking her too long to overcome her hung ups in the relationships department. There's only a number of books that you can read with the character always having the same feelings and doubts (should I enter a relationship or not). O'Dell has had several potential partners since I started this series and it's time for her to take a chance... or not! Just reach a decision.

In terms of the mystery itself I did enjoy it but this is the kind of story where there are two plot lines running at the same time, apparently not connected, but that you know that the most probable is that they are related. I did enjoy Maggie's plot line a lot more than I did Ben's and to be honest I think we could almost skip that second plot line. We did have a more hands on investigation than profiling but I was OK with that.

So, despite the fact that I enjoyed half of it more than the other half,  it was a very fast read for me, which is always a good thing and I am now curious about what is going to happen next in this series. 

Grade: 4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat about books and stuff and I would love to hear from like minded readers. Please do leave me a comment :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...